Artists are encouraged to submit proposals based on artwork they are already creating, but with consideration for the format of the program. A typical share will consist of a work of art/object of artistic production – multiples are encouraged, however creative ideas that translate your practice into this format are also welcome. For example, a limited edition of 7” vinyl records, a run of screen-prints, series of small tea cups, collection of photographs, a recording of a performance or event, letterpress editions of a poem or short story, or even 50 small original paintings.
CSArt Colorado seeks 20 emerging and established Colorado-based artists to contribute their time, creativity, commitment, and artistic expertise to CSArt Colorado throughout 2014.
Curators will select a diverse group of artists based on their artistic excellence and their ability to execute the number of works required. Each artist will receive an honorarium in the amount of $1000 to support the production of 60 original works of art – 50 works for the shareholders and an additional work for each participating artist, including the artist him/herself.
Give yourself the opportunity to experiment on a small
All artists maintaining a residence in Colorado are eligible to apply. The program does not allow artists to participate in consecutive years, so 2013 artists will be eligible again in 2015. Artists must deliver wrapped, protected and labeled artwork to Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art or Denver Botanic Gardens as indicated upon contract. All artistic media are welcome. There currently is no plan to exhibit the artwork, but online presence will be possible.
• While not everyone works small, consider how you could fit your piece into a 12″ x 18″ x 12″ box. If you usually make large-scale paintings, think about how you could get a sample of your work into a collector’s hands.
• For artists working in performance, film, sound, installation, etc., think about formatting your work as a commissioned object for collectors. Musicians might opt for a limited edition recording, or filmmakers a uniquely packaged DVD.
• Keep in mind that this is a commission for unique artworks. The stipend is not intended for the purchase of 50 commercial products.
• Also note that participating artists will need to consider the delivery of their shares.
1) Samples of your current work
• VISUAL ARTISTS: 4-5 images at 300 dpi, minimum 1500 pixels on the longest edge
• MUSICIANS: Please provide 2 audio examples of your work. Indicate how you intend to deliver the final composition to shareholders.
• PERFORMING ARTS -VIDEO: Please provide 2 video examples of your work. Video can be uploaded or linked to in the corresponding text box.
• WRITERS: Please provide 3 writing samples in the provided text box. Indicate how your writing piece will be visually prepared and presented for shareholders.
Alternate views of the same artwork are allowed to better illuminate the nature of the work. Artists need not provide images of proposed artwork.
2) Artist’s proposal
Provide a brief artist statement as to the context of the artwork and rationale as to why the work is relevant for this particular show. Why is this work a good fit for CSArt Colorado? (1000 characters max)
3) One page Artist’s CV.
Deadline for entry (via CaFE™ system) is September 6, 2013.
Jurying Curators: David Dadone and Lisa Eldred
Notification of Acceptance: September 27, 2013.
Artwork Delivered to Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art or Denver Botanic Gardens: April 2014.